Stay Connected Pinterest

Priestley-Savidge House

  • priestley1
  • priestley3
  • priestley2

WeddingWire Awards

Wedding Wire Couples Choice Badge 2015

Wedding Wire Couples Choice Badge 2014

Wedding Wire Brides Choice 2013

Testimonials

Testimonials Coming Soon

Priestley - Savidge

Off-Premise Catering Image

About Us

The Priestley-Savidge House is located in the Borough of Northumberland, The Priestley-Savidge house is a home of historical distinction belonging to the descendants of Joseph M. Priestley, the famous English Scientist and "father of modern chemistry". Featured on two acres of lavish gardens of fountains, urns and secret hideaways, this home offers guests a perfect retreat for that special event. Nestled on nearly two-acres of lavish gardens within the Borough of Northumberland, the "Toulmin" House was built circa 1858 by Joseph R. Priestley, grandson of the famous English Theologian, Scientist, and Author, Joseph M. Priestley. Nearby, the Joseph M. Priestley House museum lends to the heritage of his work and legacy. Erected as a token to his newly married daughter Frances "Fanny" Biddle Priestley in 1859 and son-in-law, "Major" Harry Toulmin , the couple spent several years in the home with their three children. Mr Toulmin passed in 1870, Mrs. Toulmin passed in 1916 while visiting her eldest son in Alaba. The property was purchased by Claude and Mary Savidge. At that time, the home was considered too remote for their liking and the couple spent winters "in town" as to not be isolated on the dirt road to Danville. As years past, two of the four children of the couple, H. Blanche Savidge and her brother, Dr. Luther Savidge remained unmarried and lifetime occupants. In his free time, Dr. Savidge tended to his azalea gardens and collection of orchids in his greenhouses, as evident on the present day grounds. Ms. Savidge committed her time as a teacher and respected philanthropist of Northumberland. After both retired, they enjoyed the remaining years of their lives in their childhood home!

Ruth and Patrick are also the owners of Rose Marie’s Restaurant, located at 26 E Rear Main Street in Bloomsburg. The restaurant specializes in Northern Italian cuisine and features a stone hearth oven where all of the pizza, specialty sandwiches, and delicious focaccia bread are baked made to order. The restaurant is open 11am-11pm every day and reservations are recommended.

Susquehanna Chef

Contact